[gmx-users] using PME option

Alan Wilter Sousa da Silva alan at biof.ufrj.br
Tue Jun 4 19:47:32 CEST 2002

Hi List!

	From my experience with MD I've never user PME.  So thanks to
GROMACS I had this opportunity now.  I build a system composed of a
protein in a solvent box (water) using at least 1.5 nm of hydration shell
over protein, since I'd planned to use cut-off (both vdW and coulomb) of
1.5 nm.  However I had to include ions to my system and now I decided to
use PME.  As I believe, I don't need to use so large cut-off, is that
right?  My actual mdp file (part) follows as it is:

; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS =
; nblist update frequency =
nstlist                  = 10
; ns algorithm (simple or grid) =
ns_type                  = grid
; Periodic boundary conditions: xyz or no =
pbc                      = xyz
; nblist cut-off         =
rlist                    = 1.5 ;  (CHANGE?)

; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW =
; Method for doing electrostatics =
coulombtype              = PME
rcoulomb-switch          = 0      ;   (useless?)
rcoulomb                 = 1.5    ;   (CHANGE? 0.9 is a good value?)
; Dielectric constant (DC) for cut-off or DC of reaction field =
epsilon-r                = 1
; Method for doing Van der Waals =  (PME has no effect here, right?)
vdw-type                 = Shift  ;   (how new rlist will affect it?)
; cut-off lengths        =
rvdw-switch              = 1.4    ;   (CHANGE?)
rvdw                     = 1.5    ;   (CHANGE?)
; Apply long range dispersion corrections for Energy and Pressure =
DispCorr                 = EnerPres
; Spacing for the PME/PPPM FFT grid =
fourierspacing           = 0.12
; FFT grid size, when a value is 0 fourierspacing will be used =
fourier_nx               = 0
fourier_ny               = 0
fourier_nz               = 0
; EWALD/PME/PPPM parameters =
pme_order                = 4
ewald_rtol               = 1e-05
ewald_geometry           = 3d
epsilon_surface          = 0
optimize_fft             = yes

I would thank very much any help here.  So what changes should I have to
do about rlist, rcoulomb and vdW options and values, if necessary or to
improve performance?

Cheers,

Alan Wilter S. da Silva
 Laboratório de Física Biológica
  Instituto de Biofísica Carlos Chagas Filho
   Universidade do Brasil/UFRJ
    Rio de Janeiro, Brasil