[gmx-users] parallel gromacs

Scott Delinger scott.delinger at ualberta.ca
Tue Jun 11 22:06:35 CEST 2002

Thanks to Choon Peng and Erik Lindahl for their help on my first
benchmark question. I seem to get the correct run times for Athlon
1533 performance within 5%. Now for parallel....

I've got lam installed (RHL 7.3 distro-provided RPM). I've got
gromacs installed (3.1.3-1 SRPM, rpm --rebuild, rpm -i). I've got
MPICH installed as the "preferred" MPI on the system, which
interfered with trying to install GROMACS from source with MPI
enabled. I've installed gromacs-mpi-3.1.3-1.i386.rpm (likely not
optimised for my hardware). I've unpacked the benchmarks, and tried
running d.vallin (grompp -np 2 -shuffle -sort), but stdout shows that
all of the atoms fall in one CPU. Fair enough, but I see Athlon
(dual) on the benchmark page and wonder how that was accomplished.

I then move on to d.dppc, which looks like it's meant for parallel
work. If I run grompp -np 2 -shuffle -sort and then mdrun -np 2 (from
the original gromacs SRPM), stdout from the mdrun complains that
GROMACS was compiled without parallel capabilities (but the stdout
from grompp shows that the job is prepared to run across two
processors evenly). Fair enough, --enable-mpi likely wasn't in that
source RPM. If I run grompp -np 2 -shuffle -sort and then mdrun_mpi
-np 2, stdout from mdrun_mpi complains that it was expecting an input
file with np = 1 and found np = 2. (!) If I run grompp -shuffle -sort
and then mdrun_mpi, it runs on a single processor with no performance
difference from the standard runs I did yesterday and this morning.

I'm obviously not seeing something correctly. I'm not sure why
mdrun_mpi wants a -np 1 version of the input files. I'm wanting it to
run across both processors on the one box. I'll worry about running
it more widely on the full set of machines
(http://www.chem.ualberta.ca/~scott/) once I've solved my easier (?)
problem.

Thanks for suffering through all that verbiage, and thanks in advance
for any help you can offer.
--

Scott L. Delinger, Ph.D.		IT Administrator
Department of Chemistry
scott.delinger at ualberta.ca