[gmx-users] equilibrating a solvent

Sidney Elmer sidnasty at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 18 00:52:23 CEST 2002

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me on equilibrating a
carbon tetrachloride solvent I made.  I've created the topology file and
the .gro file, now I want to equilibrate it in an NVT ensemble.  What
I've done is written a script that will create a
crystal of the solvent.  I have checked to make sure that I've placed
the necessary number of molecules in the box of a given volume to give
the desired experimental density.  Now I just have to equilibrate the
liquid.  In the .mdp file, whether I specify to use md with Berendson
temperature coupling or stochastic dynamics, I get the same error
message from grompp, which
I have attached to this email.  There are 2560 atoms in the system, but
for some reason, it appears that not all of the atoms are coupled to the

heat bath.  As a side note, I noticed the first time I ran grompp, the
error message specified that it was "Making dummy/rest group for
T-Coupling containing 2555 elements" instead of the 2560.  That is why
I'm thinking that some of the atoms aren't being coupled to the
temperature bath, (but it may be unrelated).  I just don't understand
the Fatal error:  Not enough ref_t and tau_t values.  I will also
include the .mdp file for you as well.  I won't bother sending the .gro
file, because it's pretty big, and it's sufficient to know that there
are 2560 atoms in the file, and the box size is correct on the last
line.  If you could help me I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

Sid