[gmx-users] about grompp

Anton Feenstra feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Thu Jun 20 10:32:58 CEST 2002

Xu Yong wrote:

> Hi, everyone
>
> I have taken  the coordinate of popc.pdb (128popc+2460h2o) from Tieleman's website. I want to put my membrane protein into it, so I dig a hole in the popc.pdb and get hole.pdb. When I do grompp, the machine give this information:
>            Fatal error: number of coordinates in coordinate file (all.gro, 17136)
>                         does not match topology (all.top, 15993)
> before do grompp, I have done that;
>
> cat myprotein.pdb hole.pdb >all.pdb
>
> pdb2gmx -f myprotein.pdb -o myprotein.gro -p myprotein.top -ignh
>
> vi myprotein.top and added
> # include "lipid.itp"
> # include "popc.itp' and
> popc    75
> sol   2393
> and rename it as all.pdb
>
> editconf -f all.pdb -o all.gro
>
> grompp -f em.mdp -c all.gro -p all.top  -o all.tpr
>
> I didn't know what is the difference of this two number and how to solve this problem.
> Thanks for any help in advance!

This has to do with the number of 'popc' and 'sol' molecules that you
specify in myprotein.top. There are three things to consider: 1) pdb2gmx
might add hydrogen atoms to your protein, so myprotein.pdb might contain
less atoms than myprotein.gro; 2) the number of popc (75) and sol (2393)
molecules that you specify in your .top file must correspond to the
number of these molecules in your 'hole.pdb' (or 'all.pdb', should be
equal) file; 3) there may be crystal waters in myprotein.pdb, which
must be added to the number of sol molecules.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Free University Amsterdam    |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton   |
|  \__/  | "I Am the Psychotherapist. Please, Describe Your          |
|        | Problems." (GNU Emacs)                                    |