[gmx-users] Re: Tyan MPX MB

Lynne E. Bilston l.bilston at unsw.edu.au
Wed Jun 26 01:35:14 CEST 2002

>Message: 2
>Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:20:40 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Jay Mashl <mashl at uiuc.edu>
>To: Gromacs User List <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>Subject: Re: [gmx-users] (no subject)
>
>On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 dr.horsfield at physics.org wrote:
> > According to the Gromacs benchmarks web page, there are problems with
> > first generation athlon motherboards. Has anyone had any problems with the
> > Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466N) motherboard? [I am purchasing some machines with
> > dual processor athlons with this motherboard to run gromacs.]
>
>By "first generation", do you mean the Athlon Thunderbirds?  They don't do
>SSE.
>Nor do the athlon Durons.  On the other hand all the MP and XP Athlons can do
>SSE. And I know the Tiger MP mainboard works well.
I have a small cluster of the Tyan Tiger MPX 2466N motherboards (not the
thunderbirds), which are happily running gromacs without any obvious
problems, using SSE etc. Depending on how much parallellisation you want to
do between machines and your budget, you may wish to consider a faster
networking option (myrinet/scali etc) than the onboard 100MB net cards, as
these machines are very fast, and large parallel jobs are limited by the
communication speed. Let me know if you want help getting the temperature
sensing running - it's a bit tricky, and these machines do run quite hot.

-Lynne

Lynne E. Bilston, PhD
Senior Scientist, Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, and
Conjoint Associate Professor, Faculty of Medicine, University of New South
Wales
Barker St, Randwick, NSW 2031 Australia
Tel: +61-2-9382-7924	Fax: +61-2-9382-2643