[gmx-users] bug in 'make install' triggered by Solaris 8/GCC 3.1

Nathan I. Sharfi nisharfi at csupomona.edu
Wed Jun 26 20:43:40 CEST 2002

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Erik Lindahl wrote:

> Nathan I. Sharfi wrote:
> > After getting the fftw pkgadd-style package from www.fftw.org, I installed
> > gromacs with ./configure CC=gcc (went fine, it seemed) and then make (no
> > problems there, either). However, for the 'make install' part, I got this
> > odd snag after it had been doing install-related things:

<snip>

> Hi,
>
> It seems as if the sun version of /bin/sh has problems with the logical
> expression. I though we fixed all those instances, but apparently
> there's one left :-)
>
> What the line in the Makefile does is this:
>
> Cd to /usr/local/gromacs/share/template, and if Makefile doesn't exist,
> make it a link from Makefile.sparc-sun-solaris2.8.
>

> Perhaps you could help us fix the problem permanently by testing if
> it helps to remove the space between ! and (, or rewriting the
> conditional in some other way...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Erik

How can I get a clue as to where to start fixing? I looked in the toplevel
Makefile under the 'install' target, and it referenced install-recursive as
a prerequisite. However, I can't find 'install-recursive' anywhere to
continue the hunt for the offending /bin/sh line.

Where do I go from here?