[gmx-users] parallel problem

Anton Feenstra feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Fri Mar 1 15:18:44 CET 2002

David van der Spoel wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Yuguang Mu wrote:
>
> >I do use
> > mpirun -c 2 mdrun -np 2  -s mini
> >But the problem is the same :
> >
> >Back Off! I just backed up mini.log to #mini.log#
> >Reading file mini.tpr, VERSION 3.0.5 (single precision)
> >Reading file mini.tpr, VERSION 3.0.5 (single precision)
> >Fatal error: run input file mini.tpr was made for 2 nodes,
> >             while mdrun expected it to be for 1 nodes.
> >[0] MPI Abort by user Aborting program !
> >[0] Aborting program!
> >    p4_error: latest msg from perror: No such file or directory
> Hm, apparently you are using MPICH. I don't know whether we have a MPICH
> expert in the audience?
>
> We've had some reports about MPICH before, but hitherto it has ended
> mostly in people moving to LAM...

No MPICH expert, but a suggestion nonetheless: try

mpirun -np 2 mdrun -np 2  -s mini

at least, that gets me going...
Although we have extremely bad scaling (40% on 4 CPU's, which may
or may not be MPICH's fault), which might explain why many people
move to LAM... 8-[

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Free University Amsterdam    |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton   |
|  \__/  | "Step On the Brakes" (2 Unlimited)                        |