[gmx-users] compiler warnings on IBM SP

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 7 20:02:05 CET 2002

Hi David,

>1)
>
>libtool: link: warning: library
>`/gpfs/dbostick/fftw_IBMSP/lib/libsfftw_mpi.la' was moved.
>
>I assume this is okay because I have the compiled libraries in a directory
>that I move from place to place.  As long as the path can be found for
>linking I imagine this is fine..

Yes - this is just a bug in the FFTW configuration that we can't do much
about. It's just libtool telling you that the fftw library was installed
to a different path in the first place. It won't cause any problems.

>2)
>
>ld: 0711-230 WARNING: Nested archives are not supported.
>        Archive member ../mdlib/.libs/libmd_mpi.a[libc.a] is being ignored.
>
>I suspect this may be causing my problems when running mdrun_mpi.  How do I
>fix this?

I don't see this on my SP system, but I don't think it will cause any
problems. In theory, libtool has the capability to link all libraries
into the library you are creating (i.e. include the parts of libc we
need into libmd), but since I'm pretty sure your linker/compiler will
include libc at the link stage it should probably work. This is a
libtool bug ;-)

>Also in the configure script I changed mpcc to the threadsafe mpcc_r.  Is
>this okay?

Sure. We're not using multithreading parallelization yet, but when it's
working I will be changing the compiler detection part to use the
threadsafe ones by default.

Cheers,

Erik