[gmx-users] Problem with Prdrg with NR5

Anton Feenstra feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Fri Mar 15 12:17:28 CET 2002

Daan van Aalten wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Anton Feenstra wrote:
>
> > I think PRODRG only supports united atoms (i.e. implicit hydrogens).
> > IMO that is a missing feature. Nevertheless, in this case it would
> > be trivial to add the missing hydrogen by hand. Alternatively, you
> > might add a Carbon atom in stead of the Hydrogen, feed that to
> > PRODRG, and modify the Carbon back to hydrogen yourself, and also
> > fix the atomtype of the Nitrogen (which probably depends on how many
> > carbons are bound to it).
>
> That is an incorrect statement - implcicit hydrogens are used only for
> APOLAR hydrogens. All hydrogens in the input drawing are discarded and
> PRODRG uses a set of rules for dtermining which atom show have polar
> hydrogens added. In case of aromatic cyclics containing nitrogens this is
> not a trivial problem and PRODRG does indeed not get it always right.
>
> Daan

Sorry Daan, you're right. I meant to say that PRODRG does not keep
explicit hydrogens when you put them in the input. But this is a
real problem, for e.g. aromatic compounds one often wants all ring
hydrogens explicit. This is (I think) not supported by PRODRG.

Maybe it wouldn't be too much work to have a choice wheter PRODRG
should manage where to put hydrogens or not, or wheter that should
be determined (partially?) by the input...

Nevertheless, I think I should stress the fact that I find PRODRG
a good piece of work and defenitely very useful. But, as we also see
often for Gromacs, the better useful a program is, the more people
will want to use it for other purposes... ;-) Let's just say that
there is always room for improvement!

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Free University Amsterdam    |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton   |
|  \__/  | "killing children ..." (Insight/Parasoft)                 |