[gmx-users] pentium III vs Pentium IVs

Bert de Groot bgroot at gwdg.de
Mon Mar 25 09:11:08 CET 2002

David van der Spoel wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Erik Lindahl wrote:
>
> >The only reason to go with Pentium4 is if you need double-precision in
> >your MD calculations.
> Or if you do something else, besides MD, that uses a lot of double
> precision floating point. Benchmarks of Gaussian (quantum chemistry) show
> that the fastest P4 is quite a bit faster than the fastest Athlon.

Another issue to consider is the air conditioning in your computer room.
Those Athlons produce quite a bit of heat in comparison to intel CPU's.
We had to install a much more powerful airco after our 12 dual athlons
had arrived.

Bert

Dr. Bert de Groot

Theoretical molecular biophysics group
Am Fassberg 11
37077 Goettingen, Germany

tel: +49-551-2011306, fax: +49-551-2011089

email: bgroot at gwdg.de
http://www.mpibpc.gwdg.de/abteilungen/071/bgroot