[gmx-users] Non-bonded parameters in Gromacs

Anton Feenstra feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Thu Mar 28 10:25:46 CET 2002

Marc Baaden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to introduce new atomtypes/parameters in Gromacs for my
> current project (ie for Fe3+, which in the standard version has
> zero VDW parms). Now after going through manual and online help
> I think I got a rough picture but some things remain unclear.
>
> 1) Eg. let's say I use Fe parameters from another forcefield and
> transform them into C6/C12 values, do I need to generate all
> possible combinations with other atom-types and add them as well
> (as in all forcefields that come with Gromacs the GenPairs option
> is set to No, and I think there can only be one defaults section
> in the topology) ?
>
> If so, are there any tools available (scripts, ..) ?
>
> 2) BTW, if there are no LJ parameters for a given pair and one uses
> GenPairs=No, will there be an error message, or will they be set
> to zero implicitly (in which case entries like
>    FE   OD    1 0.00000E+00   0.00000E+00
> are superfluous).

GenPairs, if I'm not mistaken, is for LJ 1-4 interactions (see p97).

> 3) In the case that I create a complete new forcefield (based eg on
> previous work with Amber), wanting to use GenPairs=Yes, what do
> the FudgeLJ and FudgeQQ parameters do ??
> (Are these two parameters what is called scaling factors for
> LJ/Coulomb interactions in other forcefields ? - it's just because
> I would have expected those in the mdp rather than in the parameters ..)

What they say they do on page 98.

> 4) Is there a tool that allows to get a list of the parameters actually
> used in a simulation .. that is more human readable than a
> gmxdump -s tprfile ?

I've posted a rudimentary topology parsing script to the list some
time ago, search for 'topology parsing' on www.gromacs.org/search
or go to: hwww.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2001-December/000373.html

I've used this to prepare a table to describe the complete forcefield of
a molecule. This table I included as suplementary material to an
article.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Free University Amsterdam    |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton   |
|  \__/  | "Stay Tuned, We'll Be Right Back" (CNN)                   |