[gmx-users] New force fields

David L. Bostick dbostick at physics.unc.edu
Thu May 2 23:49:55 CEST 2002

There are a few features used for amorphous materials that may prove to be
useful to some...

valence angle potentials:
Quartic potential
Truncated harmonic
Screened harmonic
Screened Vessal
Truncated Vessal

van der Waals potentials:
n - m potential
Shifted n - m potential
Born-Huggins-Meyer

et al.. you can see the DL_POLY_2 Reference Manual (CCP5 website) for more
details on these if they are of interest.  Also since everyone is talking
about implementing other forcefields it should be noted that 1-4
interactions can be a real headache.  With current gromacs/gromos
parameters, it is customary to have no charge-charge fudge factor, but for
OPLS 1-4 LJ is
scaled by 1/8 and charge-charge interactions are scaled by 1/2 .. or the
other way around.  For standard amber (all-atom) it is different.  This
becomes hectic if you have molecular species where some things need to be
screened and others don't.. i.e. ryckaert bellemans tails on lipids with
OPLS parameters, since there is only 1 place to put a fudgeQQ factor in
gromacs... or rather, when some species must be screened differently than
others.  DL_POLY handles this by placing individual screening factors to be
read into the program in the same place that dihedrals are read in.  THis
way each dihedral can have a different 1-4 interaction in the system..

Currently such problems can be dealt with for LJ interactions by using a
simple pairlist and having [pairtypes] tags in the topology files, but for
1-4 charge-charge interactions, nothing like this can be dealt with.

I'm not saying these are all things to worry about.. but just food for
thought.

David

David Bostick					Office: 262 Venable Hall
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy			Phone:  (919)962-0165
Program in Molecular and Cellular Biophysics
UNC-Chapel Hill
CB #3255 Phillips Hall				dbostick at physics.unc.edu
Chapel Hill, NC 27599	           		http://www.unc.edu/~dbostick