[gmx-users] Gromacs on dual athlons

jfuchser jfuchser at ualberta.ca
Wed May 15 18:49:22 CEST 2002

Hello,

I will soon be building a test 4 node cluster to run Gromacs, and if all goes
well will most likely expand the cluster to 8 nodes or more.  I was leaning
towards using dual Athlon CPU's and I was curious how these machines perform
on Gromacs clusters.

My local vendor warned me that the Athlons run very hot possibly requiring
special cooling.  He also does not carry the MP processors or a dual Athlon
motherboard and if I purchased the parts through him he would not give me a
warranty.  If anyone could direct me to a vendor who deals with the athlons
and could sell me a dual setup under warranty it would be greatly appreciated.

One last thing for now, in regards to the OS.  My colleague has some
experience with Suse Linux and would like to run that on the cluster however
for the most part it appears people have been running Red Hat.  Will the
parallel version of Gromacs run properly on Suse Linux 8.0?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.