[gmx-users] implicit solvent

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 7 09:33:36 CET 2002

Hi Stefano,

> I think you are right for what concerns the speed of the calculations,
> however   don't underestimate the advantage of getting rid of the
> solvent noise, degrees of freedom and viscosity. Eliminating solvent
> viscosity could speed up considerably large conformation changes and
> eliminating solvent noise and degrees of freedom is extremely helpful
> for scripts that exploit parallelization in a parallel tempering scheme.

The lack of viscosity is both a feature and a problem; it makes some
large-scale motions occur 10-15 times faster, but this of course means
we cannot draw conclusions about timescales of the dynamics anymore. We
might have to include a stochastic integrator that adds some drag to
atoms exposed to the (implicit) solvent...

Another reason this is taking a while is that we probably skipping 3.2
and going directly for 4.0, with better parallelization and a bunch of
other features...

Cheers,

Erik