[gmx-users] ffgmx: CH2-CH2 Dihedral

Dallas Warren dallas.warren at vcp.monash.edu.au
Mon Nov 18 03:06:15 CET 2002

Erik,

>A lot of MD force fields have this problems with aliphatic dihedrals. I
>would guess that OPLS is slightly better than Gromos96, which in turn
>should be better than Gromacs. (The "gromacs" force field is really
>Gromos87 with some modifications mentioned in the manual - we don't try to
>develop our own force field, it is too
>much religion in it :-)

I could imagine that, they are not simple things.  And you should be
concentrating on making GROMACS faster anyway ;-)

>If you want to stick to united atom I would recommend either
>Ryckaert-Bellemans potentials or The Kuwajima alternative. The R-B
>potential is already defined
>in Gromacs; just change the dihedral type to "3" and make sure you REMOVE
>the 1,4 interactions since these are included in this functional form.

Sticking with a united atom FF at the moment.  Changed the topology to
include the Ruckaert-Bellemans potential for butane and then minimised
it.  It is much better :-)  Here are the values FYI:

                         GROMACS R-B             Allinger et al.
diff anti/gauche        6.6 kJ/mol      2.9 kJ/mol      2.6 kJ/mol

Currently have a decane simulation running to see how the relative
populations of anti/gauche go.

What do the protein people use for the various CH2-CH2 dihedrals that are
within some of the amino acids when running simulations with the GROMACS
force field?  Or is one of the other FF typically used?  From what I can
tell, even if there is a single CH2-CH2 dihedral within the amino acid it
will be far more rigid than it should be, and hence not show the
confirmation dynamics that it should.  Or am I wrong in my thinking here?

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren
Research Fellow
Department of Pharmaceutical Biology and Pharmacology
Victorian College of Pharmacy
Monash University
381 Royal Parade
Parkville VIC 3010