[gmx-users] Re: about ffgmxnb.itp and lipid.itp (nanyu101)

Wei Fu wfu at mail.shcnc.ac.cn
Tue Nov 26 12:53:17 CET 2002

Hi, Wu,

   We have disscussed this problem. see bellow:

Fuwei

      Ms. Wei Fu, Ph.D.
      State Key Laboratory of Drug Research
      Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica
      Chinese Academy of Sciences
      294 Taiyuan Road
      Shanghai, 200031
      P.R. China
      wfu at mail.shcnc.ac.cn
      wfu at iris3.simm.ac.cn

Hi all,

Marc Baaden's warning about the somewhat unexpected behavior of grompp
when
having multiple atomtypes and non-bonded entries applies to using
lipid.itp
too. In the way I set it up, the LJ interaction matrix in the GROMOS
based
force fields (ffgmx in this case) is overwritten with standard
combination
rules. I don't yet know what the effect is of this. It means the force
field
isn't used the way it was designed. On the other hand, nearly all
published
simulations on membrane proteins with gromacs will have used the
combination
rules for the protein part instead of the GROMOS values, often without
disastrous consequences.

To use the protein-protein GROMOS LJ parameters, the contents of
lipid.itp
should be copied into the ffgmx* files as Marc described. It should be
possible to test the differences on simulations of high-resolution
membrane
protein structures.

Peter