[gmx-users] Itanium 2

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 27 01:01:54 CET 2002

Peter Tieleman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone tried running gromacs on Itanium 2 or Power 4 processors?
> What is their speed, compared to a pentium or athlon of your choice?

Hi Peter,

The HP (former Compaq) testdrive program just added an Itanium 2
machine. Since we cannot use assembly loops I would guess it is about a
factor 2 faster than the Itanium 1 on the benchmark page, or roughly the
speed of a 2-2.5 GHz P4.

The Power4 is 3-4 times faster than the Power3, so it will probably be
_slightly_ faster, more or less on par with a 2.8 GHz P4.

The actual benchmark might differ 20-30% from these figures, but they
are still not price competitive with x86...

If you don't have to pay it yourself (supercomputer center :-), I would
recommend IBM - I really like their compilers, and they might be
including Altivec in future generations of the Power CPUs (they just
announced a 64 bit desktop CPU - PPC970, which has Altivec).

Cheers,

Erik