[gmx-users] Re: about make_hole

Graham Smith smithgr at cancer.org.uk
Thu Nov 28 13:39:08 CET 2002

Hi -

Whoops, the problem with grompp is because I have made a mistake
in the tutorial that I distributed with make_hole : I meant

 grompp -f run.mdp -o insert.tpr -c outbilayer.pdb -r outbilayer.pdb
-p ...

(i.e. -o not -s ). The double argument is OK, you are telling it you
want to apply restraints and to use the atoms' original positions as
the reference points for these.

If I understand your mails correctly, the coordinate file that you are
going
to use (popc + water + a cylindrical hole) is popc_b4em.gro;
Since you have added water with genbox you need to minimize it first;

 something like
 grompp -f minim.mdp -o min.tpr -c  popc_b4em.gro -r popc_b4em.gro \
 -p popc.top

 ("minim.mdp" is a minimizing file, containing options like the one
you posted)

 mdrun -s min.tpr -deffnm popc_b4em_min

 Then that should give you a minimized file popc_b4em_min.gro; then do

 grompp -f run.mdp -o insert.tpr -c popc_b4em_min.gro -r \
   popc_b4em-min.gro -p popc.top

 ("run.mdp" is a MD file, so in it you would have
  integrator          =  md
 amongst other things ... see the other tutorials and the manual).

 then

  mdrun -v -hole -holep hp.mdp -deffnm insert

  will work, I hope - deffnm sets all input and output file names to
  insert.[something]. When I wrote "...",  I was trying to imply that
  all   the other normal options to mdrun could be used.

My tutorial is (I now realize) not totally stand-alone; you need to
have some experience of gromacs first, so you will know what I mean
when I imply something rather than spelling it out (or when I make
stupid mistakes!) As David says, it would probably be a good idea to
run a few "normal" simulations first, e.g. share/tutor/speptide.

Really sorry to have caused you problems,

Graham

Dr. Graham R. Smith,
Biomolecular Modelling Laboratory,
Cancer Research UK,