[gmx-users] pdb2gmx - .top missing values

K.A. Feenstra Feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Tue Oct 15 08:07:53 CEST 2002

Dallas Warren wrote:

> Anton,
>
> Thank you for the replies.
>
> Yes, I know about and have been using the PRODRG server program.
>
> > So, what then is your problem? Do you get [bonds], [angles] etc
> > sections in your .top file? If so, are the parameters missing?
>
> Yes, it specifies between which ones the bonds, angles etc are.
>
> > If you don't specify parameters in your .rtp (it appears you
> > don't), then you don't get parameters in your .top explicitly.
> > In that case, parameters are taken from the [*_types] defenitions
> > in your ff*.itp files. Much of this is also described in the
> > manual...
>
> Ahhh, OK.  Sorry I was under the impression that it inserted all of those values into the .top file.  So the software calls
> up the ff*bon.itp file as required for how the angels, bond constants etc should be?

Yes -- that is what grompp does, at least its mayor task.
It reads in all the [*_types] definitions from the *.top and *.itp
files specified, and uses those to fill in all the blanks in the
[bonds] [angles] etc. definitions. If you prefer, you could also
follow the groMOS conventions for bonded-interactions, where they
are indicated by independent labels and not by combinations of
atom types. Basically this employs the cpp pre-processing directives
-- the first action of grompp is to 'drag' all your .top and .itp
files through cpp. Look at some of the ffG43*.itp files for examples.

> That is good to know.  I just noticed that in the .rtp files
> supplied that some use on convention of letters and others
> numbers.

Yes -- these differences are mostly historic (and therefore
completely illogical).

> Thank you for your assistance.  It is much appreciated.

You are most welcome.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton   |
|  \__/  | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down"               |
|        | (Red Hot Chili Peppers)                                   |