[gmx-users] about the time of rerun

K.A. Feenstra Feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Thu Oct 17 08:51:44 CEST 2002

xu yechun wrote:

> Dear all,
>     I use "mdrun -s file.tpr -rerun file.trr -e file.edr" to calculate the energy of one trajectory. It is surprising that
> the time for this process is almost the same as original process"mdrun -s file.tpr -o file.trr -e file.edr". Is it normal?I
> get confused.

As David said, it depends on how often you wrote a frame from your
original simulation. If you write a frame each step, each of them
will have to be re-evaluated, and that takes just as long as the
simulation took in the first place.

Disk I/O can be limiting, but if you use -rerun to calculate interaction
energies between a large number of separate groups (i.e. energy groups),
that can also slow things down considerably, mainly due to memory I/O.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton   |
|  \__/  | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down"               |
|        | (Red Hot Chili Peppers)                                   |