[gmx-users] user-defined proper dihedrals and restraints

Chris O'Brien obrien at CLEMSON.EDU
Thu Oct 17 22:42:24 CEST 2002

Hello,

I have two questions.  First, is it possible to edit/create a user-defined
function for proper dihedrals?  My molecule (polylactic acid) is chiral, so
the dihedral rotation energy curve (phi vs theta) is not symmetric.  Thus,
a Ryckaert-Bellemans expression can never fit it properly.  It would need
phase shifts in the theta terms.  If this is possible, where in the program
would I need to make these additions?  Are there any pitfalls I should be
aware of?  If I were to make a piecewise (-180 to 0 and 0 to 180)
expression, do I need to worry about discontinuity or non-differentiability
at the junction?

Second, is there an easy way to lock (constraint or restraint) a single
dihedral angle during a simulation?  I saw atom position, bond length, and
angle restraints in the manual, but no mention of dihedrals.  I was
thinking that I could lock each trio of relevant atoms (i-j-k and j-k-l)
into a plane to duplicate the effect.  In the manual it tells how to
restrain an atom into a plane, but I'm not sure if GROMACS will understand
my intentions if I do this.  Especially because I don't necessarily want it
to be, for example, the XY plane but rather the plane defined by the
starting positions of atoms i, j, and k.  Any ideas?

Thank you,

Chris O'Brien
Clemson University
Clemson, SC USA