[gmx-users] shell again

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 30 18:30:16 CET 2002

Dmitry Kovalsky wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Tracing back a problem with option -shell ( Vol 1 #412) in genbox programm
>I have found out that depending on the shell value I get different results.
>
>I have used tried 0.3. and 0.15 nm shell and got very quickly (1 ns) two
>distinct resulted conformations.

MD is a chaotic process, so when you have a different number of
particles or different velocities there will
always be minor differences in the trajectories the atoms undergo. For
every step, this will spread slightly,
so after a nanosecond or so it is quite reasonable that the two systems
have diverged completely in phasespace.

Cheers,

Erik