[gmx-users] the neighbour getting

K.A. Feenstra Feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Tue Sep 10 08:54:14 CEST 2002

Erik Lindahl wrote:

> alexander yakovenko wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Does you know how to get the neighbour molecules from the trajectory file?
> > I need to make the .ndx file with the group of water molecules, which located
> > no more than 5A from residue 1 of my protein.
>
> Just write a small analysis program that calculates it directly from the
> coordinates. In theory you could of course dump the neighborlist from
> Gromacs, but since that extends to 10A it will be much longer (and
> written every 10 steps).

Better stil: there is the program trjorder, which can sort your water
molecules in order of distance from the protein. Then, you can select
the first so many water molecules that will make up your 0.5nm layer of
water. See trjorder manpage for more info:
http://www.gromacs.org/documentation/reference_3.0/online/trjorder.html

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rugX-Mozilla-Status: 0009 ) |-----------------------------------------------------------|
|  \__/  | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down"               |
|        | (Red Hot Chili Peppers)                                   |