[gmx-users] proper dihedral function!!! again!!!

Dallas Warren dallas.warren at vcp.monash.edu.au
Thu Apr 17 08:43:01 CEST 2003

>  And the function 4.52 is the most simplest function for dihedral
> angles.I think it's not the Gromos 43a2's dihedral angles function,it's
> Gromacs'. Now, I hope to know the difference of dihedral function between
> Gromacs and Gromos.

 From what I can gather, there is no difference between the GROMACS and
GROMOS dihedrals.  Both use an angle maximum, force constant and
multiplicity to define the potential.  They also have a phase shift which
you can implement in the equation, but no mention of this is made in the
topology discussions or the manner in which you can use it if needed.

So if you use the GROMOS forcefields, then you define a dihedral
type/number, something like gd_#.  If you look at table 5.3 the parameters
that can be set for a proper dihedral is the angle maximum, force constant
and then multiplicity.  Each gd_# has a defined angle maximum, force
constant and multiplicity.

>   Second, if I want to use dihedral angle type 3,there are more than one
> force constant in dihedral function.  In ffG43a2bond.itp, there is only
> one force constant.Where can I put or find the other force constant?

By dihedral type 3, do you mean Ryckaert-Bellemans potentials?  If so, then
there is only one that comes with the force fields, and this is for the
CH2-CH2 dihedral optimised for alkanes.  The values for this is shown on
page 89-90 of the manual.

If you want to use a R-B for other dihedrals, then you either have to
generate them yourself, or I noticed that a couple of days ago someone
mentioned that OPLS has more defined in it so you may be able to transfer
some over from there.

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren
Research Fellow
Department of Pharmaceutical Biology and Pharmacology
Victorian College of Pharmacy
Monash University
381 Royal Parade
Parkville VIC 3010