[gmx-users] PME correction term

Jason DeJoannis jdejoan at emory.edu
Wed Apr 30 20:24:01 CEST 2003

Sowmi,

  Imagine a system with only one charge, and it has
periodic boundaries. Therefore if you compute the
energy of the ion due to all of its images, you
will find that it diverges to infinity (similar to
the harmonic series). That is why it is necessary
to include a uniform compensating background charge
in non-neutral periodic systems. Because the
background is uniform it does not give any net
force to the charges.

  The only derivation I know of which includes
the neutralization is

D. M. Heyes, JCP, v74, p1924 (1981).

which happens to be an interesting paper. Heyes
also mentions a paper by Bertaut which I have
not read.

  If you are interested only in application
of this method there is probably a more accessible
paper somewhere...

 Regards,

  -Jason

---