[gmx-users] Amber OPLS dihedral conversion to GROMACS RB

Malcolm Gillies malcolm.b.gillies at anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 7 04:54:01 CEST 2003

Hi David,

The conversion formula you need is on page 62 of the GROMACS manual
(equation 4.54). Assuming the phase angles for PN= 1, 2 and 3 are 0,
180, and 0 degrees, respectively, then Vn in equation 4.54 is equal to
PK / IDIVF for the line where PN=n

e.g.

    X -C -CA-X    4   14.50        180.0             2.

gives a V2 = 14.5 / 4 = 3.625 kcal/mol

For a particular dihedral, you need to accumulate all the Vn terms from
different lines of the AMBER parameter file and then convert them into a
single set of RB parameters.

See also

    http://amber.scripps.edu/doc6/html/AMBER-sh-19.3.html

under "Dihedral parameters" for the AMBER torsional energy function.

cheers,

Malcolm
--
Malcolm Gillies <Malcolm.B.Gillies at anu.edu.au>
Postdoctoral Fellow, Computational Proteomics and Therapy Design Group,