[gmx-users] cluster types supported

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 18 10:09:00 CEST 2003

Hi Mike,

Single-cpu Gromacs runs work great on any system. As for openmosix,
there is nothing we can do to support it - it is they who don't support
MPI :-)

However, since parallel molecular dynamics involve a lot of
communication and is quite sensitive to load balancing you would get
really bad performance on an openmosix-style cluster. OpenMosix relies
on moving processes around, and that would be very bad idea when we
need to communicate with the other processors 10-100 times per second -
you would always have one CPU falling behind, and then everybody else
has to wait for that one. In theory I guess it would work well on an
unloaded cluster (less than one job per cpu), but last time I checked
mosix didn't support sockets (used for MPI communication).

Big shared memory machines are great with MPI, but quite costly, so
most people use linux clusters (with or without fast myrinet or scali
networking)...

Cheers,

Erik