[gmx-users] OPLS C-terminal Capping of Glu residue a bug?

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Sun Aug 24 05:55:01 CEST 2003

Hi,

Short answer: Just compile in 32-bit mode and the Opteron performance
will be excellent (using SSE assembly loops).

Long answer: The current gromacs version doesn't have any 64-bit
opteron assembly loops, but I have very strong reasons to believe
future versions will be (read: I have already written the x86-64
assembly loops :-). In practice they won't be any faster than the
32-bit loops, and in some cases it might actually be slower due to the
64-bit pointers. This doesn't mean the 64-bit mode is bad, it is just
because the AMD chip is really excellent at running the 32-bit assembly
code! (and it is in agreement with other x86-64 benchmarks). Future
generations of x86-64 might be more focused on 64-bit performance
though, so it might matter in a generation or two, and they 64-bit
loops will make it easier to get good performance on huge systems
(millions or billions of particles).

Just make sure you use 32-bit mode, and that the log file says
something about SSE (so you are not running 64-bit without assembly
loops).

Cheers,

Erik