[gmx-users] Benchmarks

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Fri Dec 12 18:17:01 CET 2003

> I recently posted my Opteron benchamrks, where the opterons at 2 GHz w
> 1
> Mb cachce were significantly faster than the 2.2 GHz xeons with 512 kb.
> Part of it must be due to cache. Check the archives

I don't think the opteron advantage mainly the cache, but that Intel
pushed up the frequency and increased the pipeline lenghts. Remember
that AMD used to call it XP2000+ when it was reall 1.6GHz or so - their
architecture is simply more efficient per clock cycle, and that seems
to carry over to the opteron (thank god they discontinued the
"marketing ratings"...)

Cheers,

Erik