[gmx-users] tau_p

Oliver Beckstein oliver at biop.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 17 16:43:01 CET 2003

> >                         I done MD for my sistem ( CL- NA+ 330Water)
> >at P=cte.
> >; Isotropic pressure coupling is  on
> >Pcoupl              =  berendsen
> >Pcoupltype          =  isotropic
> >tau_p               =  1.0
> >compressibility     =  4.5e-5
> >ref_p               =  1.0
> >The presure is really bad, very bad (average -0.5 bar, after 100ps)
> >I change tau_p= 0.5, then I obtain less fluctuacions.What is the
> >right value(s) of tau_p?.
> >
> 100 ps to average the pressure is really too small. Try at least 1 ns
> ... should be better.

For your information, after 100ns of 1M NaCl (39 Na+, 39 Cl-, 2102 water)
I obtain

Energy                      Average       RMSD     Fluct.      Drift
Tot-Drift
Pres-ZZ (bar)               1.05953    347.934    347.932 4.24344e-05
4.22362

(I did not use isotropic P-coupling but fixed x and y to be able to
compare to other simulations which required semiisotropic P-coupl;  for
bulk I'd normally also do isotropic as you did. I used SPC water and the
ion params from ffG43a1; PME electrostatics, tau_p = 1.0, same ref and
compressibility as above).

Thus after sufficiently long time the average converegs on the preset
value, more or less. The fluctuations are still huge, of course.

Oliver

Oliver Beckstein * oliver at biop.ox.ac.uk
 http://sansom.biop.ox.ac.uk/oliver/