[gmx-users] runtime statistics

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 24 23:24:08 CET 2003

Hi Rui,

All the three last lines refer to nonbonded interactions with normal
Lennard Jones and tabulated Coulomb. The first line is for interactions
between arbitrary atoms (in most cases protein-protein), the second is
for interactions between a protein atom and an entire water molecule
(charge group), and the final line for interactions between two water
molecules.

This separation doesn't affect the results; the only reason for the
separate loops is optimization. Calling the water-water loop is much
faster than looping over all the water atoms in the normal loop. (Two
reasons: better cache properties, and we hide the latencies better).

Cheers,

Erik