[gmx-users] TI(slow growth) in gromacs (tip4, Parrinello-Rahman barostat) instability

Anton Feenstra feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Thu Jan 16 15:41:21 CET 2003

> Dear gromacs teem!
>
> I find a strange behavior of gromacs, when I simulate slow growth
> of some solute in a periodic box of tip4p waters.
> (Nose-Hoover thermostat, Parrinello Rahman barostat, 500000 steps
> of 2fs., ethane molecule)
>
> The results was unstable and warning like "cell is exploding"
> appeared in a log file.

The Nose-Hoover and Parrinello Rahman 'stats can be significantly
less stable than their "Berendsen" counterparts. This probably
explains why most people use the Berendsen 'stats, even though the
resulting ensemble is thermodynamically not well-defined.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton   |
|  \__/  | "A Man Needs a Maid" (N. Young)                           |