[gmx-users] trajectory file problem

David spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Jan 24 21:26:39 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 23:06, Luciane Vieira de Mello wrote:
> Hi
>
> I already posted a mail reporting that the ngmx visualisation (at least on
> our, Linux) machines only read 1.9ns of a 10ns trajectory.  After this
> the program froze and had to be killed.  Other Gromacs programs didn;t
> seem to have this problem.  Now there's a another issue which I think is
> related.
>
> Trying to manipulate these files gives us Linux input/output errors.  What
> strikes me is that the errors (when FTPing, copying, splitting - any file
> manipulation) occur around 20% into the file.  In other words be can FTP,
> for example, 20% of the file before we get an error.  What's important is
> that this happens *both* for the xtc and for the trr.  This leads me to
> wonder if ngmx, on crashing, has not left some kind of problem in these
> files at the 20%/1.9ns mark.  Has anyone else seen this?  What could the
> problem be?
>
> We now have the practical issue of trying to recuperate the trajectories.
> We can get the first 1.9ps but the rest is tricky.  I've just realised
> that I can tail most of the rest of the xtc trajectory (tail
> --bytes=1300m traj.xtc >) but when I try to open it I get
>
> Fatal error: Magic Number Error in XTC file (read 313737432, should be
> 1995).
>
> Similarly, I can get the latter part of the trr file.  Then I
> get the error
>
> trn version:
> Last frame         -1 time    0.000
> WARNING: Incomplete header: nr 0 time 0
> Fatal error:
> Couldn't read time from first frame.

Have you checked your system log files for (/var/log/messages) for file
system errors? I've had problems with EXT3 filesystem, and had to
reinstall my compute cluster, and upgrade the kernel.
On the gromacs side you could run
gmxcheck -f traj.xtc
to see if the file is OK. You cannot jump in somewhere in the middle and
expect to read it, since the frames do not have the same length.

> Does anyone have any ideas how to solve the problem of the file, or at
> least how to recuperate the maximum possible?
>
> many thanks in advance
>
> Luciane
>

> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |                  Dra. Luciane Vieira de Mello Rigden                    |
> | e-mail: mello at cenargen.embrapa.br                                       |
> | Embrapa Recursos Geneticos e Biotecnologia                              |
> | Parque Estacao Biologica           |  http://www.cenargen.embrapa.br    |
> | PqEB - Final - Av. W3 Norte        |  Phone:  +55 (61)448-4741          |
> | 70770-900, Brasilia-D.F.-BRAZIL    |  Fax:    +55 (61)340-3658          |
Groeten, David.
Dr. David van der Spoel, 	Dept. of Cell and Molecular Biology
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755
spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se	spoel at gromacs.org   http://xray.bmc.uu.se/~spoel