[gmx-users] COM removal

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 22 20:30:01 CEST 2003

Hi,

> When I do not apply COM removal to the system, the system gains a net
> momentum due to truncation errors and the box starts drifting. To
> prevent this from happening, COM removal can be applied to the entire
> system. This does some sort of rescaling to prevent the box from
> moving.

Correct. It's not really a scaling, though: you just remove the net
velocity of the system.

> However, when I start applying COM removal to individual groups,
> doesn't this affect the true dynamics  of the system? If I need to
> calculate diffusion coefficients of  a particular group (Say group
> AAA)  then I can still do this calculation if Comm-grps = system was
> chosen, but not when comm-grps = AAA .
>
> Am I correct ?

Yes, partly. The whole idea with COM-removal is to compensate for
non-physical artefacts in simulations.

The most obviuous problem is that in contrast to the real world,
nothing stops your box from moving in space.

> I need to calculate diffusion coefficients of some peptides at
> lipid/water interfaces, but have used COMM removal on the peptides,
> lipids and SOL separately rather than the whole system. I think I need
> to rerun these simulations. Don't I?

For lipid bilayers it's a good idea to remove COM separately for the
water, upper layer and lower layer, since the lipid layers can show
non-physical diffusion against each other in the XY-plane.

If you apply COM to the peptide, it won't be able to move relative to
the water or lipids.

Cheers,

Erik