[gmx-users] Re: Inquiry Again.

Victor Kowalenko victork at mail.csse.monash.edu.au
Wed Jul 23 12:10:01 CEST 2003

HI Anton,

I am a little confused about creating a topology file. When I was doing
the simulations in MMTK, I had to create special files for Al and Cu
for the Lennard Jones potential. From what you are saying these will form
the topology file for GROMACS. The type of information that was stored
was the LJ_radius (in Angstroms) and LJ_energy (in eV) for the both atoms.
Whenever an interaction occurred between an Al and Cu atom MMTK took the
average of the Al-Al and Cu-Cu interactions. Is that the way GROMACS would
handle such interactions?

It appears to me that to create a topology file all I need to do is create
columns of : type (I realise that I might have to add atoms to the .atp
file), mass, charge (I presume this is the total charge of 0)
and the paramters epsilon and sigma, which can be obtained from LJ_radius
and LJ_energy above since these are basically the form given by Eq. (4.5)
in the reference GROMACS module. Although I know that I must type in 1 to
specify a Lennard-Jones potential, I believe that I must specify the bonds
between the atoms under the [bonds] section of the topology file. This may
give me some degree of lattitude in specifying the Al-Cu interaction
that one does not get in MMTK. After this  I presume that I can use the
initial pdb file containing the initial coordinates of the atoms in
the lattice with the *.top file and move on to the next stage of using
GROMACS by using pdb2gmx to create a structure file so that I can use
mdrun. Is this correct?

Cheers,
Victor Kowalenko.