[gmx-users] Re: Inquiry Again.

Victor Kowalenko victork at mail.csse.monash.edu.au
Fri Jul 25 09:31:01 CEST 2003

Hi Anton,

I am sending you this e-mail to confirm that the following is all
I need to get our atomic modelling working in GROMACS as I am not entirely
sure that this will work.

First, I need to write a script file that will create *.top file from the
pdb files. I should mention the format of our pdb files just in case their
format is unsuitable for GROMACS. They basically go like this:

HETATM  <Particle No.> <Type> <Type> <Particle No.> x y z 0.00 0.00 <Type>
e.g.
HETATM     1             Al     Al      1           0 0 0 0.00 0.00  Al
HETATM     2             Cu     Cu      2           0 0 1 0.00 0.00  Cu
etc.

I think the zeros correspond to velocities or some other units, but they
are irrelevant for the time being. It is x, y and z coordinates that are
important. I would like to know if this format is suitable for GROMACS or
whether I need to write a script file that extracts only the coordinates.
The files will have to be altered anyway as the coordinate positions are
in Angstroms while there is a preference for nm in GROMACS.

As far as the topology file is concerned, it appears to me that if I elect
only to do atom interactions I only need to create a script file that
creates a topology file with only 2 main parts to it: [atomtypes] and
[atoms]. That is, it should look like:

[atomtypes]
; specify the various types of atoms in the simulation
; atom atomic mass charge epsilon                sigma
  Al     26.98      0      LJ_energy in kJ/mol   LJ_radius in nm
  Cu     63         0      LJ_energy_2 in kJ/mol    LJ_radius_2 in nm
[atoms]
; nr  atom type
  1      Al
  2      Cu
  3      Al
etc.

where the numbers in the [atoms] correspond to the numbers in the pdb
files so that GROMACS can get the particle coordinates.

I think this is what you are saying below and if this is correct, then
I see no problem in writing a little script file to read the pdb file
a structure file. Please inform me as to whether this is correct or
whether I have missed something. My aim is to create a general script
file that will variable numbers of particles in the pdb files and place
them in this format. If the pdb format is no good, then I could create a
new pdb file with the proper format.

Cheers,
Victor.