[gmx-users] Athlon SSE problems?

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 18 07:50:01 CEST 2003

Hi,

Some of you might remember the discussions about strange problems on
Athlon XP cpus.

Since we started using Gromacs in Folding at Home we've collected lots of
statistics, and several users have helped us on determining that the
stability problems only occur on certain generations of Athlon CPUs -
in other words it sounds very much like a hardware issue. When we
reverted to use 3DNow instead of SSE it worked perfectly, and there
have not been any issues with exactly the same SSE code on Intel CPUs.

To make a long story short, we'd like to approach AMD with this, but in
order to do that we would need a file that reliably crashes on an
Athlon but not a P3/P4.

So, if you've experienced such crashes and still have the input files,
I'd be *very* happy for a copy and description so that we could isolate
the problem and hopefully get AMD to provide a software fix.

Cheers,

Erik