[gmx-users] small molecule partial charges

jxs818 at bham.ac.uk jxs818 at bham.ac.uk
Wed Jun 18 12:57:01 CEST 2003

Hi All,
I am working on a non standard ligand at the moment &
wondered about defining partial charges on atoms. I have
derived the partial charges using GAMESS with the 6-31G
basis set. Can I just insert these into the .rtp file in
the [ATOM] section for my ligand??? The other thing I was
wondering was that GAMESS has assigned partial charges to
carbon atoms in one of the alyl chains in the ligand, but
looking through the .rtp file only a small small percentage
of the alkyl carbons in the existing force field have a
charge assigned to them. Do I leave these charges out??
Any help would be really gratefully accepted.
John