[gmx-users] Final Workstation Specs

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 25 05:39:01 CEST 2003

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 2:09 PM, David wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 22:58, Erik Lindahl wrote:
>>> At least for US universities Apple also discounts
>>
>> Oops, I forgot to finish that :-)
>>
>> For US universities, Apple provides rather nice discounts on all
>> systems. A dual 2.0 GHz G5 is about $2500 for most universities. (Very
>> nice workstations, btw - and quiet compared to Xeons & Athlons...)
> Just checked local prcie for a dual 2.8 GHz xeon here in sweden (from
> Dell), it's SEK 21000, or $2600, probably cheaper in the US though...

Hi,

Dell is probably slightly cheaper here, but not a lot.

And the Apple systems look pretty good if you take into account that
they have a point-to-point bus just like AMD (Xeons share the bus),
6.4GB/s bandwidth to memory, include gigabit ethernet, serial ATA,
PCI-X, and a DVD-burner.

They are also interested in providing MPI-over-firewire (I'm trying to
push them on that one :-), which would be a very nice low-latency
interconnect for 2-4 nodes (almost equal to myrinet).

Cheers,

Erik