[gmx-users] How to freeze the atoms at some specific area

Michael Tallhamer m.tallhamer at csuohio.edu
Wed Jun 25 19:14:01 CEST 2003

On 6/25/03 3:58 AM, "David van der Spoel" <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se> wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 09:24, Jia-Lin Lo wrote:
>> Let me make myself clear. I have a gro file
>> ( for example, spc216.gro). If I want to freeze one side of
>> this cubic system. How should I write down the atom
>> numbers for this freeze group.   It's easy to write down
>> the atom numbers manually in this case. I just watch the
>> whole structure and mark the atoms at the same side.
>> What should I do if this system is too large to be marked
>> by eyes.
> Well, you have to have some kind of criterium, e.g. Z > 3 nm. If you
> have that you can program it in a small script, that e.g. reads a pdb
> file and generates an index file.
>>
>> Jia-lin
>>

>>> I'm not sure, what you exactly want to do.
>>> Please give more details.

I have a PyMOL extension program that will allow you to select whatever
potions of the system you wish to freeze visually using PyMOL and it will
then write the index file for you from your selection. I can send pictures
and a index file as an example of what I am talking about if you wish. I
routinely use it for systems with 68,000 atoms plus when typing by hand
would be a ridiculous task.

Michael Tallhamer
Graduate Research Asst
Cleveland State University