[gmx-users] Cross-linked Polymer Simulation

Lee Cheng Siang lee at univ-montp2.fr
Fri Jun 27 17:48:03 CEST 2003

Hi,

Objective :
MD Simulation of Epoxy based Cross-linked Polymer Using Gromacs

Polymer :
-Homopolymer
-Highly cross-linked in 3D
-polymerization done using UV radiation

Monomer :
-Two epoxies function at both ends connected by a banal spacer group

Problem :
Mine is a polymer which is higly cross-linked and one of the objective
in this adventure is to see where these cross-linkings are done in the
3D matrice of the polymer. Thus, I cannot, say, take one long chain
(because you cannot define a "chain" for highly cross-linked poplymer)
and do normal PBC based MD simulation by "dissolving" it with "itself".

Questions :
1) Can I use genconf to filled up a box with my monomers and then try
to do "polymerization" by hand by joining nearby reactiveepoxy groups?
If yes, how? Please be concise since I'm a super duper NOVICE.

2) If not, can I use other softwares to generate a cubic box filled
with my polymers (like using Amorphous Cell under Cerius 2 and
polymerization done with potential parameters hacking of the force
field using a home made script), and then export this box to pdb format
and use it under gromacs? I'm actually doing this, but I'm stuck here.
I cannot use x2gmx to generate .top file!   How do I generate .top file
of my box from Cerius 2? Could I use pdb2gmx? How? Which option to use?
What other files do I need?

The main reason for me to try to use gromacs is due to the "F&F"
reputation of its code : FAST and FREE. Using Accelrys' Discover
program, I couldn't  have enough processors running my calculations,
why? Because we only have 8 licences, and the cost a gigantic BOMB!

I would appreciate any hints! ANY! Thank you very much.

ps: I know that there were threads talking about this problem, but they
were so fragmented that I didn't understand what was going on at the
end!

*****

"Sans la liberté de blâmer, il n'est pas d'éloge flatteur" -
Beaumarchais.

Kenichi ZhenXiang LEE (Alex),
LEMP-MAO,
Université Montpellier 2,