[gmx-users] the sign of the bonding energy term

Yong Kong y.kong at mf.mpg.de
Fri Mar 7 13:12:27 CET 2003

Dear GROMACS team/users!

I am a new uesr, and have a general question on  the bonding interactions in
GROMACS (bonds, angle and dihedral). It seems that GROMACS treats all the three
types of bonding as positive terms. That means for a non-protein system with
zero partial charge on atoms the calculated potential energy must be positive,
is my understanding right? And if that's true, the energy minimization still
works? Should I change the signs of the bonding parameters manually to maintain
the total/potential energy negative?

Thanks

Kong, Dr. Yong
Max-Planck-Institute for Metals Research
Dept. Theory of Mesoscopic Phenomena
Heisenbergstr. 3
D-70569 Stuttgart

Phone: ++49(0)711/689-3566