[gmx-users] Normal Mode Analysis

Bert de Groot bgroot at gwdg.de
Wed Mar 12 08:53:07 CET 2003

Matthew Lardy wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Another quick question.  I have started performing normal mode analysis
> (nma) of proteins from the PDB.  So they should already be in a minimum
> energy configuration right?

No. it's a minimum energy conformation under the experimental conditions
(temp, salt concentration, pH, crystal contacts etc) but NOT (necessarily)
under the computational conditions (force field, vacuum, etc). So you'll
still have to *thoroughly* minimize your structure before NM. Usually you'll
need to use conjugate gradients in double precision for that.

> If so how does one perform normal mode
> analysis of a protein alone?  Assuming that I have already deleted
> ligands, metal ions, and other proteins that might be in the pdb file.
>
> What should the mdp file look like?  I have been using a mdp file that
> looks like the following:
>
> title                    = protein in water
> cpp                      = /lib/cpp
> include                  = -I../top
> define                   = -DFLEX_SPC
> integrator               = nm
> emtol                    = 0.0001
> emstep                   = 0.0001
> nstcgsteep               = 10
> nsteps                   = 10000
> nstxout                  = 5
> xtc_grps                 = Protein
> energygrps               = Protein
> nstlist                  = 10
> ns_type                  = grid
> rlist                    = 1.4
> vdwtype                  = Shift
> coulombtype              = PME
> rcoulomb                 = 1.4
> rvdw                     = 1.4

See the post of Berk Hess a few weeks ago. Use cut-offs with value 0 (infinity)
both for the minimisation and NM.

> For one, the nm run won't finish, not on my linux box at work.  :(  I dump
> core about halfway through the run, a filesize limitation error of some
> sort, so I figure I am making a major mistake before I start the run.
> What is really interesting, is that I can complete the run on my Powermac
> at home, but then I cannot diagonalize the matrix (that is a calloc error
> there).  I know that I should have posted the output of these two dumps,
> but I want to make sure that my general strategy is alright before I worry
> any more about these other errors.

for NM you need to store the full Hessian matrix (both in mdrun and in g_nmeig).
This is a 3Nx3N matrix, with N the nr of atoms. This can easily increase above
your system's memory limits for larger proteins.

Bert

Dr. Bert de Groot

Theoretical molecular biophysics group
Am Fassberg 11
37077 Goettingen, Germany

tel: +49-551-2011306, fax: +49-551-2011089

email: bgroot at gwdg.de
http://www.mpibpc.gwdg.de/abteilungen/071/bgroot