[gmx-users] ngmx for microsoft

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Sat Mar 15 05:47:13 CET 2003

On Friday, Mar 14, 2003, at 20:38 US/Pacific, David Kendall wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a trajectory visualization tool like ngmx
> for Microsoft Windows that accepts GROMACS trajectory files?

Hi David,

There are a couple of options:

First - ngmx is not the world's most beautiful visualizer, but
personally I kind of like that it doesn't need OpenGL - it's quite
useful when you're running on a supercomputer center and only have an X
connection :-)

If you really, really want ngmx you can install the cygwin environment
and XFree for windows, and then compile gromacs with X support (and
thus ngmx). You will need to have the xserver running, but this also
has the advantage that you can run the Xmgrace graphing program.

The second alternative is to use the VMD or gOpenMol vizualization
programs. These need a .gro file to determine atom types and names, but
then they can read out trr and xtc trajectories. Both of them are
opengl accelerated and do pretty animations.

We _might_ try to make something more portable in the future, but we
really don't know which programs people use for visualization and
graphing under windows, so we should probably try to get an idea of
that first...

Cheers,

Erik