[gmx-users] apple

Dean Johnson dtj at uberh4x0r.org
Mon Nov 3 15:07:01 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 06:43, Itamar Kass wrote:
>    Hi Erik, I saw you had some report on apple's new chip G5 at the
> news group.  Because we are interesting in building new cluster, I
> wonder if you can tell us if the new G5 faster then Pentium and by how
> much.
>           Thanks, Kass

I have 4 dual 2Ghz G5's humming away nicely right now doing gromacs
benchmarks. On the most apples to apples comparison, the 4 nodes (using
gigE interconnect) are about the same speed as 8 nodes in our 1.7/1.8Ghz
xeon cluster, also using gigE. 4 nodes is only a little faster than 2
nodes because I suspect that the network is already saturated. From the
beginning we have known that we need more exotic networking, so are
mostly considering Infiniband.

With the G5's there is, however, an annoying bug. You can only use 1 cpu
per machine on a job.

> p.s. I now realised that there are rumours about a new aversion of
> Gromacs, will it changes things?  Better performance on apple?

He has a beta2 of Gromacs that fixes some OSX problems.

--

	-Dean