[gmx-users] OPLS group charges

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Wed Nov 5 19:50:01 CET 2003

Hi,

No - the OPLS charges are calculated from QM, and not tuned to give
neutral charge groups. The current setup is a compromise between two
things:

1. It is nice to have charge groups since it speeds up
neighborsearching and reduces problems from cut-offs
2. Very large charge groups (the whole aminoacid would normally be
neutral) can give very bad errors  since the cut-off distance is based
on the group-group center distance.

Btw, if you use PME you don't need charge groups - it is just a way to
speed up neighborsearching in that case.

Cheers,

Erik