[gmx-users] Problems for Equilibration with 256 DPPC obtained from 64 DPPC

Aldo Jongejan jongejan at few.vu.nl
Fri Nov 7 08:19:01 CET 2003

Hi Yuhua,

Why don't you use the large system of DPPC bilayer provided
by Erik Lindahl in the GMX_Benchmark distribution?
This is already 'pre-equilibrated' and perhaps much easier
to start from. To get to a 256 DPPC system, you can cut away
lipid molecules...

greetings,

aldo

Yuhua Song wrote:

> Hi, Anton:
>
> Thanks for your suggestion. After I first do the minimization of 64DPPC,
> then get the 256DPPC, the previous warning information disappear. That is
> great! But I met the new questions.
>
> 1) from the downloaded 64DPPC.pdb, the period box size is:47.245   42.319
> 99.505, but when I use "editconf" to center the structure, it shows that the
> system size is: 4.936  4.409 10.093.  So, when I use genconf to generate
> 256DPPC, should I use the period box size from original file or the system
> size of DPPC64 to duplicate? When I use the system size to duplicate, seen
> from VMD that there are gap between the four pieces. When use the origial
> periodic box to duplicate, 256DPPC seems one intact piece, my concern is
> whether I use the period box of original 64DPPC period box to duplicate will
> cut some part of the molecule? If I use the system size to duplicate, the
> gap between 4 pieces will cause some problems? which way do you recommend me
> to do?
>
> 2)Also, after I minimize the dppc256, the sysmtem size became bigger, the
> period box size becames the two times of original 64DPPC periodic box size:
> 2*x, 2*y, Z. Now I am doing the equilibration, the period box size should be
> the system size or the the original 64DPPC size: 2*x, 2*y, Z?
>
> 3) After I do the minimization of 256 DPPC, does that mean the temperature
> is 0K, I have to warm the system up to 300K before the production run?
>
> 4) After I generate the 256DPPC file, I intend to put the 4 pieces of DPPC
> together, and 4 piece of water together in the *.gro file, in the format of
> DPPC SOL in gro. That is to say: in the *.top, it is: DPPC  64*4   SOL
> 1548*4. But when I use Grompp to generate the *.tpr file, it shows the
> warning information that the system has the non-zero total charge: 2.28e-05.
> After I change back to the orignial format: DPPC SOL DPPC SOL DPPC SOL DPPC
> SOL in the corresponding *.gro and *.top, this warning informaton disappear.
> I am wandering what is happen?  If in the future, I want to make more large
> piece of DPPC such 256*4DPPC, if my current 256DPPC in the format of (DPPC
> SOL DPPC SOL DPPC SOL DPPC SOL ), could I still use "genconf" to duplicate?
>
> Thank you very much for your time and knowledge.
>
> Yuhua

NOTE: E-mail address has changed into

    jongejan at few.vu.nl

Aldo Jongejan