[gmx-users] walls...still struggling

Sherwin J. Singer singer at chemistry.ohio-state.edu
Wed Nov 12 00:32:00 CET 2003

David:

Thanks for your reply!  I just got back into town, so here are the
answers to your questions.

* I have harmonic bonds between O and H of the silanol groups, and a
harmonic Si-O-H angle function.  There is no dihedral around the Si-O
bond.  I agree that the OH could undergo azimuthal rotation around the
Si-O axis, although I would expect non-bonded interactions to make it
less than perfectly free.

* I stayed away from dihedrals, since I thought that would require a
periodic wall or dummy atoms to do that right.  I was trying to get
something simple working, and then build from there.  That is why at the
moment the silanol hydrogens are the only atoms that are not frozen.

* Yes, there are charges on all the wall atoms, both frozen and
un-frozen.  SI atoms have a charge of +.3, OS atoms between silicons
have a charge of -.15.  OA and HO atoms of the silanol groups have
charges of -.475 and .4, respectively.

I am curious why are you asking about the potentials and the charges.
Even if my model was poorly chosen, wouldn't I still be able to minimize
or cool down the initial configuration?  Would the model cause, for all
groups, the output "Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group ...
is nan"?

I would think that my input of group memberships was the reason that the
silanol H's never minimize or cool down and for the "nan" mentioned
above, but the frozen/unfrozen specification seems to work and visually
ngmx seems to recognize my choice of groups.

Again, help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
  Sherwin

--
Sherwin J. Singer