[gmx-users] Help with simulation

Jodi Fangman jodi-fangman at uiowa.edu
Fri Nov 14 16:01:01 CET 2003

Hello,
I am a relatively new gromacs user and have run into a problem. I am trying to
simulate a small protein in solution to examine side-chain rotomer
distributions. I have been able to run the simulation in water but would like
to run it with ions as well. I was able to add the number of ions I wanted
using genion without any problems. I then changed my *.top file to the new
number of waters and added the ions. I also added the ions.itp reference in
this file. When I try to run the simulation with the ions included I receive an
error message. The error message says: FATAL ERROR no such atomtype 'K'. This
is the error I receive whether I am using potassium or sodium as my positive
ion. I can not figure out what is going wrong. Have I miss entered/referenced
something? Will my forcefield not recognize ions? (I am using the GROMACS
forcefield with all hydrogens) Or is there a different problem that I am not
aware of? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Sincerely
Jodi Fangman
--
Jodi Fangman