[gmx-users] VMD and trajectory files

Martina Bertsch, PhD mbe404 at lulu.it.northwestern.edu
Fri Nov 21 02:30:01 CET 2003

Dear Derrick,

According to the GROMACS manual, the xtc format is a compressed,
portable format for trajectories, containing only coordinates, while trr
is a binary, full precision file, containing x, v and f information. The
xtc uses the xdr routines for writing and reading data which was created
for the Unix NFS system. The trajectories are written using a reduced
precision algorithm which works in the following way: the coordinates
(in nm) are multiplied by a scale factor, typically 1000, so that you
have coordinates in pm. These are rounded to integer values. Then
several other tricks are performed, for instance making use of the fact
that atoms close in sequence are usually close in space too (e.g. a
water molecule). To this end, the xdr library is extended with a special
routine to write 3-D float coordinates.

I think that since xtc files contain only coordinates and are therefore
significantly smaller, they might be more suitable for import into VMD.
Here is what Anton said about writing out xtc and trr trajectories:

"I use the default ndec=3, that is sufficient for all types of analysis that I ever heard of. I tune nstxout/nstvout so that a frame is written
to .trr file every few hours along the calculation (usually every 10-50ps). Depending on how much disk is on the machine I run on, I either write the whole system to .xtc every 1 ps, or I only write protein(s) + substrate(s) + co-factor(s). That, I also put on CD (or, recently, on DVD!). Then, I make one .xtc file with only the 'protein+stuff' in it (if I haven't got that
already), and a few ones with less frames, like every 10 ps and every 100ps, which I can use for quick analysis (e.g. an rmsd plot)."

Greetings,

Martina Bertsch, Ph.D.
Northwestern University
Feinberg School of Medicine
Molecular Pharmacology and Biological Chemistry
303 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611